Love is in the air, Denton. It's why our air quality is so bad. The most romantic day of the year is Friday and we hope you're prepared. Actually, if you're not, that's fine, too. We've got you covered. Read on for a few do's and don'ts regarding dating in Denton.
- Picnicing on the courthouse lawn then playing with the inevitable puppy that will show up afterwards. Heck, you can even play croquet on the courthouse lawn if you want to. Although, that’s best enjoyed when it’s accompanied by a bottle of prosecco from Wine Squared in your own wine glasses.
- Speaking of Wine Squared, they’ll also give you a quilt and wine glasses to lay out on the square if you buy a bottle from them. They’re good with the recommendations, too. Remember that drinking on the square is legal if you’re drinking from a glass container.
- Long walks are always great and Denton has plenty of ‘em. Taking your boo rollerblading in cut-off shorts around South Lakes park (Editor's Note: ugh, barf) can be fun in a “people are looking at us weird” kind of way. Make it complete with Walkmans from Denton Thrift and a mix tape if you still have a tape deck. Walking around Unicorn Lake or North Lakes Park can also be nice and neither are ever too crowded.
- The Greenhouse can be nice if you never look to the left when you walk in. The nice wooden bar is dimly lit and their drink menu is extensive and updated often. They also have a nice bar area for close seating, and is pretty couple-friendly even when it's live jazz on Mondays.
- Getting lost in Recycled is always a wonderful first date. You can find out a lot about a person by watching which direction they head to when they first walk in the store.
- While we love Paschall’s, the thick cloud of smoke can leave both of clamoring for oxygen if you aren't’ chain-smokers. Nothing is less romantic than getting a whiff of your date’s smoke-laden hair - it’ll soak it up like a sponge.
- Oak Street Drafthouse tends to give off the "we're just hanging out vibe" which can be great for what some might call a “group hang,” but isn't too romantic when you have to sit elbow-to-elbow with your date at a picnic table, no matter how local your brew is.
- Rubber Gloves, while awesome, can be a bit strange for a first date - especially if you don't know the person all too well. Save "drinks at 'gloves" for later on in the relationship when you need some excitement and don't need to impress your S.O. with restroom cleanliness.
- Cuddling and "watching the stars" (Editor's Note: ugh, double barf) anywhere on the UNT campus or its grassy knolls is just a bad idea. Campus cops will come and break up your cuddle session post haste and your date might even end with a ticket-able offense.
- Please don’t even think about taking your date to the Golden Triangle Mall like you might have done in the 6th grade. Although, this could be salvaged if your date includes the dollar theater and a viewing of the hilarious movie summaries, or if its some sort of ironic date that includes a visit to Hot Topic.